Friday, February 17, 2012

I'm in the process of getting my bartending license as a part time job while I'm in school and a friend of mine really discouraged my plans by saying there is no money in bartending as a male,yeah obviously females make more on tips etc, which is clearly a given but is his idea on that true? he talks as if he has done it which he hasn't but he really has me questioning it. Even though he is saying that I think it would be a pretty cool pt. time weekend job.|||I disagree that women make more money bartending. If you have a great personallity and can make conversation about just about anything with anyone, you will make great money. If you love golf, try to get a job bartending at a country club; if you love sports in general, get a job working at a sports bar. If you can talk finance with the best of them, get a job working at a high end restaurant that caters to the business crowd. The people you're talking to are talking about guys going to college bars or booby bars.

Believe it or not, we are not living in the 1950s anymore. Women actually have jobs, make money, and pay for their own drinks. Just because the guy's paying the bill doesn' mean he decides what to tip...having worked in the restaurant business my entire life, I appreciate good service, and I tell my husband what to leave the server/bartender, regardless of their gender.

AND I take exception to the comment that a monkey can make a drink. People who know their liquor appreciate a well made cocktail. I had the most disgusting Cosmo at a pizza place last night....I guess Bill Lumburgh must have been working there.|||First off, don鈥檛 listen to your friend. There is money to be made in bartending as a male along with a great lifestyle if you choose to do it full-time and professionally.

It is very difficult to get your fist job as a bartender, but don鈥檛 get discouraged. Apply, apply, apply, interview, interview, interview. Eventually you will land a job even if its at a slow place like a Red lobster (I've worked there). Red Lobster is not the party bar atmosphere and usually the servers make more than the bartenders. But once you get your experience in, its easier to get a job at a better restaurant or a club, or wherever. Also in a lot of places you split the tips between all bartenders, and it could be true that on average people will tip a female bartender more than a male, but guess what, you get part of her tips just like she gets part of yours.

As far as bartending professionally, you have the advantage of working wherever you want, so that means in the summer you work at the beach and in the winter you go back home. Every year! Not only that, male bartenders usually stay in the field longer than females. How many times have you seen a 40+ year old female behind the bar, now how many times have you seen a 40+ male bartender. I've seen TONS more of the latter.

And to the person who says a monkey can pour a drink, well your right! But guess what, a bartender is a lot more. No one can teach you to be a bartender; they can only show you the right way to pour a drink. Can a monkey memorize a thousand plus drinks? A real bartender knows his/her customer, what they like, how much of each ingredient to make the perfect drink, what garnish to put, how to make the drink look amazing. You have to have a great personality!

All in all being a bartender is fun and the money can be great. Good luck and don鈥檛 forget APPLY AND INTERVIEW NON STOP! The most important thing is to sell yourself, don鈥檛 dwell on the experience. There is a reason why some ads for bartenders say "Experience a plus, but with the right personality we can train."|||Yeah..i think they would make more tips. I went to bartending school myself and had a hard time trying to find work doing it. Most places only hire if you have experience...which is pretty retarded considering a monkey could make and pour drinks. And it seems like alot of bars only hire females. Alot of your Applebees and places like that hire dudes though.|||My friend Jason works as a bartender currently and makes decent tips. I just got hired as a bartender with no experience on my first interview with Red Lobster! Don't know what to expect but Jason said "You have boobs, you'll be paid". lol I don't know if you can show skin there, I think you have to wear a button down shirt and all that. I give male bartenders better tips if I feel like they are interested in me, FYI. And don't let your friends bring you down, they're just haters!|||you'll make plenty on tips as a bartender. go for it.|||this is 100% false. yes it is harder to actually get a job as a bartender being a male, but once you're in, you'll make the exact same money as a female.

bartending is an amazing job. just dont get discouraged if you cant find a job right away.

火车采集器
  • benihana
  • mexican food
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment