Friday, February 24, 2012

I am an American but lived in Australia for most of high school, and that's where I met my boyfriend. I now live in Chicago with my grandparents and they are the ones who actually encouraged me to invite my boyfriend to come visit over the holidays. They've Skyped with him before, and they like him a lot. They know how much he means to me. They talked with his parents about everything. His parents are extremely excited for him because he's never left Australia. They're happy about it. They bought him the ticket already. My grandparents are treating him to everything we're doing in Chicago (shows, ski trip out of the city, stuff like that) We were together for two years, and really he was my one genuine friend there. Even though I was living in Australia, I was going to school online through a program in the US, so I didn't have a typical high school experience at all. I used to be an extremely extroverted, happy girl before we moved but in Australia I was very isolated and lonely. My only other friends were from gymnastics, but none of them really lived close enough to me to be able to make a close friendship. I didn't have a car and my mom wouldn't let me take Cityrail. He was honestly the only one who was there for me. He did a lot more for me than a typical boyfriend our age. We broke up before I moved, but would like to figure out some way to be together.

My mom is the one who is taking major issue with it. She thinks it's totally inappropriate and has been calling and emailing my Nana and harassing her about it. My family is coming over for the holidays, too, and I'm scared my mom is going to just sabotage our happiness. Thankfully, they will be staying with my other grandparents (her parents) so they won't be in our house. But she could still seriously muck everything up. She has a lot of issues as a result of prescription pain addiction (we were in a car accident years ago and she was badly hurt), depression, and other things. She also had brain cancer, but has been in remission for it for five years now. She became a religious zealot after everything, and now thinks I'm like an embarrassment or something for inviting my boyfriend to stay with me. He'll be sleeping in a guest room downstairs right across the hall from my grandparents' room, and my room is upstairs. We're not going to be shacking up. I have way too much respect and gratitude to my grandparents to do anything that would put them in an awkward position.

What should I do? I mean, both sets of my grandparents, his parents, and my dad are okay with this but she's the only one who isn't. Unfortunately, she's the type to ruin everything for everyone. Idk what to do. Would you even disapprove of this, all things considering? What should I do? I'm getting so anxious.|||Reading only the topic, my answer was so easy. No.

Then I read your whole question and I've had to rethink my answer. Based on everything you've written, it sounds like you have done a lot of planning, openly discussed rules with your grand parents and set acceptable boundaries. The choices you have made sound very mature. If I were your parent, I'd have to agree that it sounds like a fine plan.

As for your mother, I don't have any solid advice. You are living with your grandparents in their home, so the final say should be up to them. My step mother has an explosive personality and in thirty years, I've never found a consistent way to deal with her. I usually try to keep conversation very light and neutral when we are all together because I don't want the situation to blow up around my children. Try leading by example -- you want her to be pleasant, so you keep things as calm and pleasant as possible.

Enjoy your visit with your friend.|||Wouldn't bother me at all, then again im not a religious zealot.|||No I would not.|||Your mother sounds like a lot to handle. I'd say that if your grandparents who you live with are okay with it not to worry. I'm sure you'll have a great time.|||Theres always go to be that one disapproving parent. If you really want to show him off to your family and show everyone how much he means to you, do it. You can handle her comments right? And your 17 with no sexual intentions, almost an adult. If your mother can't respect that, then I say go against her wishes. Its not innappropiate, its a beautiful thing called love :)

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment