Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In chicago, showed my condo for rent yesterday. I gave out no applications but took e-mail addresses so people wouldn't have to hang around filling out apps if they had other places to view. At one viewing (one male, one female) I was rubbed the wrong way by 1) their offensive comments and giggling about a place I happen to like (they didn't know I like it) 2) although my ad said I'd paint some rooms, the female said about a some chips in the doorway of a room that I said I will not be repainting "these will need to be fixed." 3) There is a white hallway carpet, worn but clean and she said "are you going to shampoo that before we move in?" as if the place were theirs and it wasn't good enough for them. They seemed like malcontents who could be problem tenants who are never satisfied. Talking to them again would make me sick. Are their comments grounds for disqualification? Must I contact them? Must I still let them apply?|||LOL, let them apply & pay for the screening fee to a tenant screening service. You certainly are not obligated to choose them as your tenants and can keep your ad running and applicants coming as long as you wish.

You must be careful about your wording however, as "I've just not found a suitable applicant yet" or haven't made your decision yet.

Go for the full screening also. It costs more, but then you have full credit, rent history and criminal background. Applicants pay for it so it doesn't cost you any extra.|||If this is your only rental unit, you are exempt from "being fair" under federal fair housing laws.
PS- this is only assuming you are doing this yourself and not thru a realtor/prop mgmt company. If you are going thru a realtor/prop mgmt company, then fed fair housing laws apply. Sorry for addendum, but i wanted to give you the correct info.|||No you dont have to let them have the condo. You can let them apply, however you can just state that you are still processing application.
However, never ever let prospective tenants leave without filling out an application. If they dont want to fill it out, they are not interested. Then you wont waste your time on them. You are letting people have the opportunity to go somewhere else. You want them in YOUR apt, not someone elses. Being a landlord is a business to make money. You are giving them the chance to give someone else their money. BAD MOVE.
I have had people come to see my apts that raised the hair on the back of my neck. They may have filled out an application, however never heard from me again. If they called about the apt, I used the above statement about still processing the apps.|||go with your "gut instinct"
and yes give out applications..
via the email..
and check the references..
don't forget the references could be "fake"

take pictures...of your property before you rent it so you have proof on the condition when they leave.

I usually ask..when someone wants the place if they want something removed as hall carpets..(i have hardwood under and expect that in great shape and mention that)..
some people are allergic to the dust from carpets and prefer hardwood..
I love hardwood and find it so easy to damp mop clean but i always supply some "cheap toss carpets" in case the renters prefer carpet or do not appreciate "hardwood"..

anyhow go with your "gut instinct"..
but do get out an application so if they run off with your fridge and stove you have some way to find them..and sue them..

i've had a "washer and dryer" stolen by a renter and they had the nerve to ask for the "damage deposit"..

go figure.
good luck..

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment