Friday, February 17, 2012

I've always wanted to become a bartender. I love mixing and making drinks, and my friends tell me I'm quite good. I've memorized a lot of recipes in my head. I'm 20 and will be turning 21 in 4 months. Anyone know of a good place to get a bartending license? I don't know much about the process other than I assume you need one to be eligible to bartend.

Also any tips on where to work/what to look in an employer and how to best market myself for the job?|||First of all, DO NOT waste any money on one of those "bartending schools" They can not teach you what you really need to know. I have been a bartender for 10+ years and what employers want is someone that adapts quick to their style of restaurant. I would figure out what type of bar you want to work at and start off as a barback. That is someone that is the right hand person for a bartender. Once you get a good feel for that, then you can approach your boss about being trained or moved up into that bartending spot. If the bartender you are working with likes you, chances are you have a great chance for advancement.

Also check out with your state what the liqour laws are. Make yourself familiar with them. For instance drinking age varies in diferent counties of diferent states. Some states bars have to close by 2am where in other states it is 4am. If you know these laws, employers will be impressed that you took the time and energy to be informed.

One last bit of advice-when you go to apply for a job or go for an interview, NEVER EVER wear jeans. You don't want to wear a suit or anything, but make yourself look clean and respectable!!

Good Luck|||skip those "bartending schools", what a waste of money ! check out www.totallyfreebartending.com for tips. you need to check out your state's specific requirements for tending bar. in my state you have to be 21, and TABC certified. a little experience in the restaurant industry might help also.|||find a bar/club you think you would like to work at and apply for bar porter[ helper] or buser,get your foot in the door, in your down time watch the bartenders ,help the bartenders,love your bartenders.over time you will get to make a few drinks and learn the skills nessesary. when a bartender leaves mabye you will be promoted,bartending is not about recipes its about customers. to 1bar1 its funny how the 2 people in the bar industry[me and you ] have so similar answers,truth is truth|||I bartended for 3 years. I got the job by hanging out at my favorite bar and putting in at least one application a week until they gave me a job working the door (being 6'6 and 250 lbs helped with that as well....). Then I jumped at the first chance I got to be behind the bar and never looked back. It was the best job I ever had. I wouldn't suggest going to a school to learn how to make drinks. They are mostly just a rip off (I know about 25-30 bartenders and none of them took a class). Most of the drinks I didn't know I learned on the job from one of the other bartenders I worked with. I would recommend working at a bar that you would want to hang out at. If you don't like your work enviorment you won't be happy with your work. Oh and if you're hanging out at the bar you want a job at make sure to tip at least $1 per drink.|||Big money in that...good luck...|||There are bartending schools that usually have leads for those who complete the course. It's a fun course and good for learning a lot of drinks, fast.

Restaurants, however, usually require you to start as a server then work your way up, no matter what experience you have.

Also, the age to serve alcohol varies from state to state - not all require you to be 21. Some do require a food handlers license. I started bartending in AZ when I was 19|||Most places will want you to have some sort of formal training and in that training you would get a license or certificate to serve alcohol here in Canada it is caled Serving it Right in the states I'm not sure what it is. Best to call one of the local colleges and ask if they offer a bartending course with certification or license to serve or check in your local yellow pages under bartending there may be a course that is offered.

Even though you are a mixer it doesn't mean you would know how to bartend right away. There are atleast 50 to 60 common cocktails that are made that you have to memorize
just to get licensed. Wait until you are legal age and check out the bars and see what they require for someone to bartend at the establishment just research but you still got 4 months so for now maybe get yourself a cocktail book and start learning on your own.

Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Sometimes it can work out for you if you just get in a restaurant and work your way up the ladder for now you could be a busboy or a dishwasher or possibly a host really let them know you are interested in bartending but will start wherever they have a position available. Like a lot of restaurants Bartending is almost like management postion you must work your way up. Make sure wherever you go they actually have bartenders because alot of places the servers make the drinks.|||You start out as a barback or a waiter and work your way into bartender. The more time you put in behind a bar, with good references, the more money you can make.

You can also go to www.bartendingcollege.com but that may not really guarantee you employment as a bartender.

Make a good impression on the bar/restaurant owner. Young, good looking, energetic, happy bartenders normally make the most money, but it will also help to be able to back it up with a quick knowledge of a wide variety of drinks.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment