Friday, February 17, 2012

I'm 15 right now, I know I need to be 16, but when I am, how do I convince my parents to let me do this? My parents want me to become like a doctor ( and no, I'm not Indian), but I want to become a bartender. It's my dream job, I'll work hard at it, and it makes good money. It requires no high school diploma, just a bartending license and skills. Don't tell me not to drop out, I WANT TO AND I HAVE A PLAN. School is completely useless and you learn no real values for life. Just help me out on how to bring up the subject.|||do some research online and show your parents a business like plan.

Find out the average wage of bartenders. Show the cost of getting the license to become a bartender.

Compare that with the cost to become a bartender and the average license.

Another concern your parents may have is the social status of a bartender vs. a doctor. Bartenders do have more problems with unsavory and criminal characters. They may have a point if they believe it's difficult to avoid that lifestyle in this particular career. If you can find proof that a bartender can have a respectable life that would help.

In the end - with something well thought out - at least your parents might be softened by the notion that you considered their thoughts enough to find an answer to their views.|||I would just come straight with your parents and tell them what you just have told me. I know it's probably not the best way but one way or another they are going to have to face it. I don't know your parents but after reading your plan..I doubt they would let you drop out of school to become a bartender. So the best way is to tell them what you want to do. BUT please listen to me and I know you won't but i would consider going on with school. Even though you want to be a bartender there is no harm in continuing your education! I promise you that you will end up regretting it when you get older!|||You are totally right about school. But unfortunately there are so many snobs like the ones here, who will put you down for not doing the conventional thing. (The internet is, as you now know from all the put-down comments here, a bad place to get support.) You should probably test your parent's reaction first, and ditch them if they are unsupportive.|||Wow! You are very inspiring to me =D My only wish is to get the F-U-C-K away from school too! I know this isn't an answer to your question but I wish you the very best of luck!|||Listen, bartending will not get you all the things you'll want out of life. You may think it will, but it WON'T. This isn't the 1950s. You will not have a comfortable lifestyle without a high school diploma unless you make it as some kind of entertainer. The job market is tight, and many places will even pass on high school graduates because they prefer someone with a degree, even if its some crappy job. And think about it, you've been going to school for around twelve years and you have two or three left. If you've been spending your life going to school and trying to complete your education, why don't you just suck it up and do it since you have the opportunity to do so? I understand that you don't think you learn anything so you don't have to be there, but you absolutely need that piece of paper that says you graduated to have a decent life. And don't think I don't know how you feel, I graduated from high school early because I hated it so much. I really don't want to go to college for eight years, but I'm going to do it because I refuse to screw up life. You're fifteen, hate to say this but you don't know sh*t about money and working. Get out of your fantasy world and see how far bartending will get you if you want to do it so bad.|||You can't get your bartending license, or a job as a bartender, until you are age 18. So what do you plan to do from age 16 to age 18? You need to have a realistic plan in place, or else when you talk to your parents, there is no way you won't get shot down. So what do you plan to do during those years?

Since you'll have a better chance of getting one of the really good bartending jobs if you're polished and have a good look, you may want to start working on that now. Pay attention to things like fashion, and work out so that you're in decent shape. I'm not telling you to go and try to look like a model; but you want to be the best you that you can be. In addition, work on your communication skills. Being able to engage people can be pretty important as a bartender, and certainly will help you find jobs. Finally, if you can get a work permit now (or do this once you're 16), get a part-time job in a *good* restaurant or club, which has a solid bar. You'll probably be a bus-boy or similar, but that's not the point. The point is that you'll gain exposure to a top end restaurant and bar, and that'll be invaluable to your future career.

Do this even if you have to stay in school. In fact, talk to your school about their work/study or co-op options. If you have to stay in school, see if there isn't some way you can make it work *for* you. A co-op or work/study, where you go to school in the mornings and then leave and work for the afternoons, might help make the school experience a bit more palatable. In addition, see if you can't focus your classes on your future career - take things like math, business, communications; get involved in things that work the skills you need as a bartender, such as volunteer work that deals directly with people, or the campus radio station, etc. So that if you have to stay in school, at least you're doing something that's related to your future career.

If you do decide to drop out, get your GED. Thing is, you probably won't be a bartender when you're aged 55; so having at least a GED can help you get promoted within the bar world.|||Damn tommy, you seem to have figure out life.... and a such a young age. Anyways, since you are so ready to take on life the first thing you need to do is to talk to your parents: then they will tell you that YOU NEED TO BE 17, 18, or 21 IN ORDER TO WORK AS A BARTENDER (depending on what state you live) and they will crush your dreams of becoming a bartender.

Sorry buddy but unless you runaway, get spelled, or simply kill your parents, you have a 99.9% chance of not getting out of school. (if you get spelled, or kill, you might end up serving cocktails to men only.... FRUIT COCKTAILS ;)

Stick to school till you graduate, then become a bartender, high school is required and you should finish it up.

Btw it does teach you some life values, like MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICES IN SITUATIONS, something you seem to not know so far.|||I don't know how you go about getting a bartending license, but would it be possible to do part time while still at school, or maybe during summer break? That way you could stay at school a bit longer (to please your parents) while still working towards what you want to do. You may have an easier time getting them to allow you to drop out once you have the qualification. They are also less likely to get angry about you getting the qualification if they think there is still a chance you will become a doctor. In a way this would only delay the argument, but when you have it, I think your case will be stronger.

Edit: What about skills? Is there some form of training that you can do BEFORE obtaining your license? I understand not liking school - I hated it, couldn't wait to get out. But if you can't do anything useful towards your goal in the intervening time then I think it is best to stay at school. I'm all for dropping out if that enables you to achieve what you want, but I'm not so sure about it if you are going to muck around till you can get the license. So what's the plan? - that is a very important point that you will have to discuss with your parents anyway.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment